Thursday 13 October 2011

An Interview with Mr Chua Cheng Chye


Mr Chua Cheng Chye, Headmaster
of SRK Methodist (ACS), Retired on November 1977
(Reprinted from The Macsian 1977)




Mr Chua Cheng Chye
1951 Photo
 
Autographed back 
of photo      
Q: Mr Chua, were you educated in Anglo-Chinese School, Malacca?
A: No. First I went to the old Victorian Institution, the Batu Road School, Kuala Lumpur, Klang High School and finally the Methodist Boys' School, Kuala Lumpur.


Q: Did you enjoy your school life?
A: Yes, certainly especially my life in the Methodist Boys' School, Kuala Lumpur (MBSKL).


Q: Why of all the schools, you enjoy best at MBSKL?
A: There were quite a number of things I found lacking in the other schools. But I would stress only the important one - that was, the Christian teachings in the school where I learned so much that these influence my life up to this day.


Q: How came that you were a teacher in Anglo-Chinese School Melaka?
A: I passed my Senior Cambridge in 1941. When the Japanese War broke out in the Far East in late 1941, my parents and the family evacuated to Melaka. We stayed in Melaka during the war years. After the war, my parents returned to Kuala Lumpur. I had to stay back for a while because of some family business. During this short while, Dr Ho Seng Ong (founder of the present Anglo-Chinese School, Tranquerah) who knew me, invited me to join the staff of his school in 1946.


Q: Was that the primary or secondary school?
A: At that time the school was known as a Comprehensive School, meaning it had both Primary a well as Secondary.


Mr Chua Cheng Chye in 
Nashville, Tennessee, USA 
on a Crusade Scholarship, 1951
Q: Could you elaborate your presence in Anglo-Chinese School, Melaka up to this time?
A: After being invited to join the staff of the school, Dr Ho Seng Ong encourage me to stay on to complete my Normal Class training as a teacher. As I had no opportunity to go for further studies, I had no choice but to remain in this school. 2 years after completion of my Normal Class training, the Methodist Church, Malaya sent me to United States of America for further studies in one of the Colleges for teachers, in Nashville, Tennessee. I graduated with a Bachelor of Science in Education. When I returned, I continued to serve the school.

Q: To our knowledge, we discovered that you were involved in a good number of activities in the school. What activity or activities kept you on your feet most of the time?
A: First, scouting, followed by what have you in the school.

At the Ayer Keroh Jamboree  
Campsite. 1970
L-R: Tan Nyap SyeLeong Chew 
Poon, Mr  Chua Cheng Chye, 
Loh Pak Chun and Lee Chow Lin
Q: We understand that you composed the ACS Song. What prompted you to compose it?
A: After my return from United States of America with the training that I had benefitted in music,  I  felt that I  could  do  something  in this field for the school. Actually, it is my love for the school that inspired me to compose it You can find in the words of my song, love, loyalty and the wonderful virtues theschool has. I pray that you boys would be proud to sing it.

Q: In view of the trying times the youth of today are facing, what "philosophy" would you recommend for the present youth?
A: The word "philosophy" has depth, height and width - depending on each individual. But, I would like to recommend this: Always believe there is an Almighty God - Creator and Giver of all good things. Accept this. Then, take the best in life which will benefit you and your fellow men. Always do and give your best, and be of service to the needy. Keep busy doing good.


The First Malacca Boys Brigade with  
Captain Mr Chua Cheng Chye, 1986  
Q: We know you have many achievements in the course of your life experiences. Which one would you like to share with us?
A: One of the significant ones I would like to share with you is this: I praise God and thank Him for the many blessings He has bestowed upon me - one of these is:- To be given the talent and the knowledge to get along with people of all ages and to remain their good friend.




The Macsian: Thank you very much, Mr Chua Cheng Chye.

"One good schoolmaster is worth a thousand priests" 
- Robert G Ingersoll

"An intelligent man cannot accept the theory that personalities create history. In my opinion, many make history and play a considerable part in it only if they understand the peoples' needs and wishes, and insofar as they become part of the people themselves"
- Josip Broz Tito: Quoted by Elanor Rossevelt

"A life without a struggle would be as meat without salt'
- B C Forbes


Mr Chua Cheng Chye celebrating 
his 85th Birthday with old boys in 2007. 
He passed away on  November 7, 2008 
ten days short of his 86th birthday
   
Mr Chua Cheng Chye with Cherokee 
Chief and  friend from Penang, 
in  Tennessee, USA, 1951













Snap-shots of the Chua Cheng Chye Pages in the Coffee Table Book below:



No comments:

Post a Comment