Friday 7 October 2011

Tribute to the Late Chee Hood Siong

Chee Hood Siong, 66, actor of the popular comedy Baba Nyonya TV series passed away last Sunday. He leaves behind wife Gladys Ong Keng Wah and two children.


In the show, Hood Siong played his role as "Ah Chim" with his friend Kenny Chan as Bibik Kim Neo.The series is recognised by the Malaysian Book Of Records as the longest-running TV series in the country ever, lasting from the late '80s till 2000, with 509 episodes in total. 


Ah Chim (Chee Hood Siong) 
and Bibik Neo (Kenny Chan)
Photo courtesy of Koh Say Kok
The duo were also a very popular and highly sought after stage act for annual dinners, weddings and all sorts of other functions. Most recently, Chee Hood Siong was part of the cast of the celebrity-studded Nasi Lemak 2.0 movie.


 "Uncle Chee" as he is popularly known was already a talented entertainer even during his schooldays, often appearing on stage for dramas and talentime contests. He was a MACSian, Class of 1962.


Some MACSians write:
"I recall that some years ago, I religiously followed his TV shows, Baba and Nonya. I did not know then that he was a MACSian and always thought of recording his shows for friends and relatives living in Australia, so that they too can enjoy a good laugh." 
 - Bien Hock Nien, Class of '55


"He is truly 1 great comedian ! I watched all his "Baba Nyonya" series when I was little but I didn't know that he is a former Macsian .. Truly one great actor ! May he be remembered by all ! ^^ "
 - Brian Ong, Class of 2005


"Very sad to hear this news as Mr Chee was part of the entertainment group ( Baba & Nyonya) who gave a stunning performance to my guests from Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, China, India, & USA, 16 years ago for my wedding at Shangri-La KL. I remember my late mum who is a Nyonya, was so happy and all my guests were laughing and smilling all the way home. I did not know until today that Mr Chee was our old boy. I will search for the photos that my wife and I took with him. May God bless his soul!"
- Koh Say Kok, Class of 1983

"Uncle Chee" (next to Namewee) with some 
members of the Nasi Lemak 2.0 cast


A snap-shot of the pages of the Coffee Table Book dedicated to Chee Hood Siong








Below is an episode from the Baba Nyonya series available from Youtube.






Kenny Chan and Chee Hood Siong singing behind the scene during the making of Nasi Lemak 2.0:



2 comments: